Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Weird...

So, I guess I can safely say that today was "weird". Well, at least my drive around town running a quick errand turned out to be slightly weird.

I ventured out to go get stuff for an office luncheon. Since we now consist of 95% women, we have "luncheons" and we band together in a very primal way to gather the appropriate "accoutrement" for luncheons, birthday parties, going away's and so-forth.

Well, I decided to offer my services and go out to get some plates, cups, etc. because we generally do not have anything of that nature in stock. I also hate scrounging in the cupboards of our kitchen because the hodge podge array of dishes are "iffy" at best. It's not a place that would typically have nice office dishes and I'd have to go into lengthy detail about how our small company and office "works". Frankly, I don't have that kind of time, nor do my loyal readers have that kind of patience, so, I'll leave it at that. Back to my point.

I had safely purchased all that was needed and made my way back to the office. I am at a stoplight and look across the street at the Carl's Jr. parking lot which is swarming with teenagers. Not a surprise since it's directly across from a high school. I think, "wait, is that a cop car...wait, does that cop have a gun? wait, there are 4 cops with guns drawn...oh man, they are running...." I am a bit curious and start to go through the light and a cop car cuts directly in front of me, sirens blazing. Yes, this is indeed a good place to stop, thank you, I'll just sit through this light, I think.

So all the cops start running and shouting something inaudible, presumably "get down", to the perpetrator who looked maybe 15 on a good day.

The kid suddenly slumps to the ground and the cops hover, pointing their guns down at him. At this point, I felt I was watching a mock NYPD Blue/Law and Order hybrid-type show. I was half expecting Andy Sipowitcz or Lenny Briscoe to materialize for questioning. Anything seemed possible. I was also tempted to pull over and watch, but maybe then I'd be in danger. I really wasn't even concerned with that, I wanted to see bullets. Hey, I was bored today, what can I say.

Anyway, this was a bit a-typical for a Wednesday afternoon. I was caught up in the action though. As the light turned green, I was brought back into my reality and kept thinking, "this town never ceases to amaze me, if only for stupid people".

Even more amazing, I was just at that Carl's Jr. a few days ago to get a coke with my co-worker. I mean, "what if's" went through my mind. I have no idea what the "fuss" was about, but whatever this kid did to necessitate not only one gun but four pointed at his head, must of been pretty serious.

Maybe I am easily interested, but I felt that seeing the entire city police force in action put some things in perspective for me. Afterall, I like to gain perspective and meaning from my otherwise monotonous work day. I wonder what possible low I would have to reach to prompt me to rob a Carl's Jr., perhaps force me to use this Carl's as a drug drop or for any criminal device. The possibilities are virtually endless and I spent the rest of my work day contemplating them all. Yeah, I did. Then I think, I am glad I am not that guy. Sympathy, for lack of a better word, is once again gone.

I didn't have to use my A-K.... Today was a good day. Ice Cube popped into my head. Go figure.

Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home