Sunday, June 03, 2007

Summa' Summa Tiiiime...Bring it on!


It's been a while since I've posted. Why? General work malaise, wedding preparations, the common cold and I generally don't want to bore people with my mundane rantings so, I've decided to post when it counts. Now it counts, I guess.

With summer approaching, a season which I hate, I've decided to take a different approach. Self-tanning cream.

I decided that it was a good idea since I am terrified of skin cancer and while most people know that I abhor the sun, what better way to embrace summer's glow without the risk? Jergens baby!

I lathered myself with it's creamy goodness this weekend (eeewwww). Get your mind in the right place. It's just lotion.

Anyway, I've missed some crucial parts and so now I resemble a spotted leopard rather than a sun-glistened beach babe.

I will have to fine tune my technique, but none the less, self-tanner is awesome. And with several weddings this summer and my own, this fall, I am trying to acquire a "natural" skin tone that is not so death-like as I am accustomed.

I've even broken out the 30spf Coppertone for a casual nap out on the lawn chair.

I guess when you hate a season as much as I hate summer for the various horrors of swim suit wear, legs-a-dangling and skin-a-showing, but with the ever present "need" that one should shed their clothes in order to avoid heat rash and fainting, I am trying to make it work for me.

Shocking most, I am sure, I still haven't owned a swim suit in about 5 years. I think mine is in storage. I kid you not. I just "make it work" and avoid any activities prone to shedding clothes (outdoors that is, I'm not a prude for god's sake..geez). I'm a night crawler, I guess you could say. I embrace my night time activities without the nuisance of the sun. I'm far more productive at night. One co-worker of mine many years ago said, "You'd fit in well in Seattle since you dress like you're in a perpetual fall". At least I have a signature, I say. Black long sleeve shirts, khakis or the direct variation, black SHORT sleeve and khakis or jeans. I like to keep it simple. Wear what I love and not be placed in the category of, "that was so yesterday or last season". I mean, when does black go out of style? The classic Gap, black tee is my staple and will forever be in style unless "cotton" becomes extinct or something.

I think if they made a black, favorite tee, Gap bathing suit, I'd be in luck. But, I guess I'll just have to be "different" as is my "thing" and be comfortable in what I wear.

I might actually buy a pair of shorts this year. I still have the 10-year-old Gap pairs in a tupperware storage bin under my bed for those "just in case" moments. A spontaneous BBQ on the face of the sun perhaps? Maybe, but until then, it's self-tanner and "making it work" my way.

Bring it on, Sun, I've got you covered (well, with self-tanner anyway...)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Hey I am doing the self tanner thing too cause I am also terrified of skin cancer and naturally deathly pale!

We need to catch up, are you ever coming to Boulder to visit??

9:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home